Mike Leone via plug on 5 Apr 2021 06:26:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] that's nice

I'm surprised they have a full scan during working hours. We schedule
ours for either daily or weekly, after hours.

If you're not working "standard" hours (9-5), maybe they can schedule
the scan for your machine to suit your schedule more. We have a number
of different policies, tailored to SQL servers, etc.

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 9:19 AM jeffv via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the info, but I don't have admin.
> Normally that would piss me off, but I think they did a good job of
> locking things down to keep us safe from ourselves (and maybe even others).
>
> The program eats everything, making opening browser tabs an event.
>

> On 4/5/21 8:53 AM, Thomas Delrue wrote:
> > If you're a member of the administrators group, the command you're
> > looking for is
> >       taskkill /im application.exe /f
> >
> > :P
> >
> > Otherwise, if you want to stay 'nice', you can hop into the task
> > manager, right click on the process that eating up all your CPU and
> > select "Change Priority".
> > It will try to scare you out of doing that but just proceed, everything
> > is fine.
> >
> > All of this will only work if you're on an account that has privileges
> > over that process.
> >
> > More systemically, good luck on convincing those folks that that process
> > should be run in a more 'nice way'. Let me know which arguments worked...
> >
> > On 4/5/21 08:45, jeffv via plug wrote:
> >> I'm fuming because w@rk runs virus scans which eat up every last
> >> resource. I'm all for scans, but it runs at 100% cpu for hours. I want
> >> to contact the correct people and discuss it with them...I don't know if
> >> there's a Windows command to do this...
> >>

> >> "Linux has a nice command, which can reduce the amount of resources a
> >> program is eating."
> >>
> >> What's it called?
> >>
> >> Nice.
> >>
> >> Yes, what is the nice program called.
> >>
> >> It's nice.
> >>
> >> I'm sure it is, but what's it called?
> >>
> >> Nice.
> >>
> >> Look, I understand it's nice to have this program, but what program?
> >>
> >> Nice.
> >>
> >> Ok, you fire up the program to help you. What do you run?
> >>
> >> Nice.
> >>
> >> and so on....

Mike. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

This space reserved for future witticisms ...