Keith C. Perry via plug on 10 May 2021 11:48:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Lab recommendations

Brent,

Just to satisfy my own curiosity.  How would you compare something like Debian-testing or Ubuntu's non LTS releases to CentOS now?  Would you consider it more "bleeding edge" or less.  I'm Ubuntu guy but have used CentOS when forced too.  I'm not big on rolling releases (I don't think I've been in my Arch partition in over a year now) but kind of like the idea of something in the middle.

I was "forced" to use Ubuntu 20.10 on my new HP laptop (late 2020 hardware) and I'm happy with it even though I would have preferred to be on an LTS version.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "brent timothy saner via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 2:21:42 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Lab recommendations

On 5/10/21 14:04, Chad Waters via plug wrote:
> If you're looking for a CentOS replacement, keep an eye on Rocky Linux.

(https://rockylinux.org/)

I mentioned this in my other reply, but there's a handful of others that
claim to be CentOS replacements as well:

https://almalinux.org/

https://www.oracle.com/linux/
(lol. If you hate yourself, I guess.)

https://springdale.math.ias.edu/

https://www.clearos.com/

The problem is half of them are nowhere near mature enough for
enterprise deployment (Rocky Linux, AlmaLinux both aren't even at RC
stage yet, and clearOS hasn't been battle tested long enough).

Oracle Linux is... well. Oracle. It's full of what you'd expect from
Oracle: convolution, weird hacky fixes, bloat. And I wouldn't rely on
them not changing the licensing terms at the drop of a hat if it becomes
more popular.

And Springdale is just... eugh. It doesn't have a large enough team
behind it to do timely releases and bugfixes, let alone feature parity
with RHEL.

So all this to say "caveat emptor".