Casey Bralla via plug on 2 Jun 2021 10:21:20 -0700

[PLUG] Amplification & Resolution: Need DNS Recommendation

So about 20 years ago, I got a dedicated IP address (via ASDN modems) and decided to start running my own network, complete with Web, eMail, and DNS servers.  At the time I used register.com to register my domain, NerdWorld.org.

The goofiest part was that I defined my DNS server address as being at DNS.NerdWorld.org.  (This conjures up images of the recursive Ouroboros snake eating its own tail.)

I told register.com that my DNS servers (for NerdWorld.org) were DNS1.NerdWorld.org & DNS2.NerdWorld.org

Somehow, it worked through the magic of a "glue record" (which I frankly don't understand).  I was also able to add additional domains to my web servers that used the same DNS servers at DNS.NerdWorld.org.

Fast forward 20 years, and I no longer want the thrill of running all those servers, and I've shed a bunch of domains.  Register.com rapes me every year with their domain registration fees, so I want to drop them as a registrar.  But I've been terrified that my whole network system (which was pretty shakily designed by an amateur fumbling in the dark) would come crashing down if I changed ANYTHING.

My solution was simple (and probably obvious to everyone but me).  I simply moved my registration to a new registrar who also provides DNS services.  I'm now using NearlyFreeSpeech.net, which I have used previously for some of my lesser domains.

So far, everything seems to work (unless you never get this message, which means I'm hosed! :)

Casey