Keith C. Perry via plug on 3 Aug 2021 15:56:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] slightly off topic, possible privacy issues with JavaScript

For what it is worth, I've seen a number of newer laptops coming with software or hardware switches for the webcam and if you ask me that's been long overdue.  You see people covering the camera thinking that is the most important issue but the mic is just as important if not more.

For desktops, it really isn't have hard to build a inline usb switch.  I'm surprised this isn't a thing already available but you can always get a multi-port switch and turn it to an open port if you want to take your usb cam/mic offline.  That's a bulky and arguably impractical solution but I suspect that most people also are not unplugging their cam either which would also work.  I was doing that until last year (2020) but once video conference became a necessity I lost the discipline of keeping my webcam offline until needed.  My workstation is on my desk but I suspect a lot of people have theirs on the floor where quick access to the I/O area is NOT quick.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Michael Lazin via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 1, 2021 9:29:14 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] slightly off topic,        possible privacy issues with _javascript_

JP, this is actually a brilliant idea, we should consider encouraging manufacturers to build devices with physical switches, for camera, mic, wireless, and bluetooth.  This is purely opinion, but I think this is necessary for modern privacy.

Thank you for the link, this is interesting.

Michael Lazin

.. τὸ γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι.

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 5:43 PM JP Vossen via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 7/29/21 10:53 AM, Martin Cracauer via plug wrote:
> Well, either way, the microphone should have a LED like the camera
> does.  That would be an improvement.
>
> And the LED should be in-line with the power circuit for the camera or
> microphone, so that it is physically impossible to activate without
> the LED turning on.  Right now it is a software-controlled LED, so as
> soon as you are root you can watch/listen while keeping the LED off.
>
> I'm not sure how that mixes with always-on microphones for today's
> smartphone services ("OK Google" etc), but I would like to have an
> option to turn that off in the first place.
>
> Permissions for apps or websites are nice, but domain names and apps
> get sold to bad actors, and that is not rare.  They can re-use
> permissions given to the original good actor.  LED or nuffing.
>
> /rant
Forget about the LED, I want a physical power switch for the camera and mic.  Some phones do have them, e.g., https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/09/purisms-librem-5-phone-starts-shipping-a-fully-open-gnulinux-phone/.

Later,
JP