JP Vossen via plug on 3 Sep 2021 11:19:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] What I learned at the PLUG meeting tonight

On 9/1/21 9:14 PM, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
Here are my notes from the meeting tonight:

Good stuff!

* Ventoy for universal USB Boot
* CMU Sphinx for voice to text on Linux
* espeak for text to speech on Linux
* Festival for text to speech on Linux
* Xclip for more effective copy and paste

I use:
	alias gc='xsel -b'   # Get (from) Clipboard
	alias pc='xsel -bi'  # Put (to)   Clipboard

That's constantly useful, I use it 10x+ per day for all kinds of things.
	Grab some lines and count them: gc | wc -l
	Sort anything: gc | sort (-u) | pc
	Perl one-liners in the middle to do markup tweaks
	Etc...

* Jekyll for static websites and blogs

That one is based on Ruby, which I have to confess baffles me.  There's a large list for many languages (including several in Bash) at: https://www.staticgen.com/

There's a Python focused list at: https://www.fullstackpython.com/static-site-generator.html

I'd prefer one in Perl (a few) or Python (lots) (or maybe bash) for hacking, or possibly Go (Hugo) for simplicity.

Most of the seem to use Markdown, which I'm not a super fan of.  Like Git itself, Markdown seems to be ubiquitous because of Github, not because it's the best, though I admit "best" is relative and hard to define.  I really don't like Markdown's numbering, though I can like with the rest of it.  Otherwise I'm kind of mixed between Asciidoc (which we write O'Reilly books in these days) and DocuWiki/Zim (because Zim is awesome).

* Geany editor

Geany is awesome.  I understand you can run it on Windows but have never tried.  Both Geany and Notepad++ (which I understand you can run on Linux bet I never tried) are based on https://www.scintilla.org/ so the "guts" are the same.  I vastly prefer the Geany interface to N++, because I think it's much more feature and intuitive.

Let me throw in the Zim "Desktop Wiki" (Python3 GTK) note-taking tool.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zim_(software)

* Ways to make LUGs more inclusive.
     * Why Linux groups are losing members
         * One problem is Linux has become easy
         * Everybody knows Linux now

Yeah, I was having that conversation the other day with a guy at Linode support.  Linux owns the entire world...except for being only ~2% of the desktop market. :-/

         * But there is still room for Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
             * Software Defined Radio on Linux
             * Sound studio on Linux
             * Etc
     * Solutions:
         * Develop SIGs
         * Have meetings address the SIG interests

Maybe, but all the requires management and logistics, and as Walt and CJ can tell you, that's hard to come by.  I know *I* don't have the time...

Later,
JP