Steve Litt via plug on 28 Sep 2021 19:40:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Printer hassle - solved with a perl hack

Eric Lucas via plug said on Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:57:55 -0400

>I run KDE and I basically love it.
>
>One recurring problem I've had with it is that some applications
>(looking at you Okular!) keep insisting on A4 paper when printing. You
>can set every single page configuration to 'Letter' - it makes no
>difference. I can go to the printer and press a few buttons to switch
>it to Letter , however, I have to do that for every print.
>
>Point made: it's a pain in the [unspecified anatomical reference].
>
>While searching for an answer I ran across the following post. It's a
>bit "hackish" for a production system but, hey, this is my workstation
>so I'll hack it if I want to!
>
>It works amazingly well and is simple to implement (it takes more time
>to read the post than it does to make the change.)  Bonus: it works
>for ANY application on the system that asks for A4 paper.
>
>If you have this type of problem this might just be the answer you're
>looking for!
>The post:  https://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/entry/371
>
>Eric Lucas

Very, very nice! One thing I love about Linux is most problems are just
a few lines of code from solution.

I call your solution ingenious, not hackish. Hackish is writing code so
big, complex and gratuitously entangled that a simple paper size bug
cannot be solved. Ingenious is solving it with a small, clean command.

For the past year or so, my PDFs produced by enscript cut off the left
edge by about 1/3 inch. I've long suspected that in some conf file
somewhere something is set to A4 that should be Letter (I live in the
US), but a half hour search didn't find it. Now I'm going to try your
ingenious solution and see if that solves my problem.

SteveT

Steve Litt