Walt Mankowski via plug on 17 Oct 2021 15:55:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu 21.10 and video oddity

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 10:24:13AM -0400, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> From the official announcement:
>
> > Ubuntu Desktop 21.10 makes wayland sessions available while using the
> > Nvidia proprietary driver.
>
> This is going to break everything for me, isn't it? :)

I installed 21.10 yesterday. Not only did Wayland not break everything
for me, it's not even offered as an option for me!

A google search implies I may be able to tweak some config files to
get it working. On the other hand, as far as I can tell, my Nvidia
card seems to be working just fine under x11. Is Wayland going to
offer me anything to counter the risk of things possible not working?

> > Ubuntu Desktop 21.10 includes GNOME version 40, with a new and
> > improved Activities Overview design. Workspaces are now arranged
> > horizontally, and the overview and app grid are accessed vertically.
>
> I wish they'd make up their minds. I just got used to them being
> vertical!

Yep, they're horizontal now. Also, some of my windows how light gray
titlebars instead of black titlebars. I think that's a plus, since
dark titlebars on top of dark backgrounds tend to all run together to
my eyes.

The only other thing of note so far is that mutt is still at version
2.0.5 from January. There are some new features in 2.1 I was hoping to
try out, but I guess it'll have to wait April and 22.04.

Walt