Walt Mankowski via plug on 12 Nov 2021 09:30:46 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Arch on an M1 MacBook Pro

I can't speak to why this particular person did it, but the new
MacBooks Pro are really amazing machines. You can dismiss them as
"overpriced status symbols", but nobody else is even close to what
Apple's been able to do with their custom Arm chips. These laptops
have the best price/performance of any laptops on the market. Their
performance is comparable with high-end gamer laptops like Alienware,
but with far less power consumption. Even if they can't get all the
Apple-specific hardware working (and it sounds like they're still
working on the GPU), they still might well be the best Linux laptops
currently available.

Will was very excited about this at PLUG on Tuesday, so I'll leave it
to him to go into more detail. :)

Finally, I'll just point out that the only reason we have Linux on
laptops at all is that people bought expensive Windows laptops,
"deliberately crippled" them by trashing the perfectly cromulent
Windows partition, then got Linux booting on them. I don't see this as
being any different from that.

Walt