Keith C. Perry via plug on 1 Dec 2021 19:17:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] kernel, rpm, croc, du, encrypted

Ok, I could see that happening.  However, I don't see what the real problem is with the traditional methods or what problem is trying to be solved.  Is there an idea that pre-created user authorization and setting up proper data access is "bad"?  Sharing things by token could eliminate account work but I'm not sure sharing by a token (unique or shared) is generally superior to having to a user account.  Both have their place.  Google Drive is an example of both methods being available on one platform.

Unless I missed something, you're still using a remote resource and you're just sharing by a "token".  If that is not the case then I don't see how it works reliably since direct file sharing would require authorization to upload and download at the system level and/or network level (if there is proper security in place).

I do like your example of the cell phone though but that still seems like an edge case.  I think I've used the NFC thing to transfer a contact once or twice.  Its cool but sending a contact via a text message works just as well.  For large files on your own systems, chances you know what the accounts are on the system so its pretty quick to move data around.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com>
Cc: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>, "Walt Mankowski" <waltman@pobox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 1, 2021 8:10:45 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] kernel, rpm, croc, du, encrypted

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 6:59 PM Keith C. Perry via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I really don't see the point of this either...

I think the envisioned use case is that you and I meet at PLUG.  I'm
connected via my T-mobile cellphone hotspot.  You're on your Verizon
hotspot, or maybe WiFi.  We want to transfer a big file.

That is just a one-liner for both of us using this tool, with no need
to figure out IPs, who can connect in what direction, and  so on.  As
long as we can both get out to the internet we're fine.

The more traditional solution would be to stick it on a cloud drive of
some sort, or both have access to a common server somewhere.

I would compare it to some of the new cell phone
share-with-somebody-nearby features that makes it really easy to share
stuff with random people you've never met as long as you bought cell
phones that run the same recent OS (hey, at list this new thing is
FOSS and can be installed on anything).

--
Rich