Rich Freeman via plug on 2 Dec 2021 04:29:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] kernel, rpm, croc, du, encrypted

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:17 PM Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> Is there an idea that pre-created user authorization and setting up proper data access is "bad"?

It isn't bad.  It just assumes that you know the need to share data
before you actually need to share it.  Also, it assumes that some
method of authentication exists that is recognized by both devices.

For one-offs the effort to set up accounts/etc just isn't worth it,
assuming somebody is even available who knows how to do it.  If I
needed to send a large file to somebody random for work I bet it would
take me weeks to navigate the IT process to make it happen, and I bet
this is a common issue.  I know a lot of consulting firms tend to
basically run their own cloud-like services since then they have
unique URLs and aren't blocked by customer firewalls.

> Google Drive is an example of both methods being available on one platform.

Sure, and there is a reason everybody wants to use these cloud-based platforms.

> I do like your example of the cell phone though but that still seems like an edge case.

Well, it is a bit of a long tail.

This is the case of where two random people need to share a file one
time in their entire life.  The previous solution for this sort of
thing tended to be USB drives, but those have a lot of other security
concerns.

Obviously if two people exchange data every day this is a pretty poor solution.

--
Rich