Walt Mankowski via plug on 2 Dec 2021 06:01:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] kernel, rpm, croc, du, encrypted

On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 08:10:45PM -0500, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 6:59 PM Keith C. Perry via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > I really don't see the point of this either...
> >

> I think the envisioned use case is that you and I meet at PLUG.  I'm
> connected via my T-mobile cellphone hotspot.  You're on your Verizon
> hotspot, or maybe WiFi.  We want to transfer a big file.

So this would be taking place in some alternate reality where flash
drives don't exist and wiki/cell service is reliable at PLUG meeting
sites? :)

> That is just a one-liner for both of us using this tool, with no need
> to figure out IPs, who can connect in what direction, and  so on.  As
> long as we can both get out to the internet we're fine.
>
> The more traditional solution would be to stick it on a cloud drive of
> some sort, or both have access to a common server somewhere.

Or, as I said, you could use a flash drive to share the file.

> I would compare it to some of the new cell phone
> share-with-somebody-nearby features that makes it really easy to share
> stuff with random people you've never met as long as you bought cell
> phones that run the same recent OS (hey, at list this new thing is
> FOSS and can be installed on anything).

Apple has a service called AirDrop to accomplish this [1]. It has the
advantage of being peer-to-peer, so you don't need an internet
connection or to trust a third-party relay. The disadvantages are that
it only works when the devices are close to each other, and that both
sides need to be Apple devices which of course is often unlikely at
PLUG events.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirDrop