Rich Freeman via plug on 2 Dec 2021 09:07:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] kernel, rpm, croc, du, encrypted

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 11:59 AM Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> What surprised me on that journey was how quickly users the outpaced technology of the time.  Flash drives were too small and software options were poor at best.

That is another issue with flash drives.  If I dug through my backpack
I bet I have a bunch of "giant" 1GB ones or whatever still floating
around that use USB2.  Sure, you can get modern ones that are decent,
but when people fall back to them often it is what they have on hand.

You mentioned encryption, and setting that up within an org usually is
possible, but getting it to work between two random people is another
matter.  Within the org there really is no point to the flash drive
anyway unless it is for very niche offline use.

Odds are that after you swap that file via USB with somebody else, it
is still sitting around unencrypted on that drive a year later if it
doesn't get much use.  Maybe you deleted it, but we all know how well
that works.  Heck, overwriting flash drive data is not all that
reliable.

Just another reason this tool might be a less-worse option.

--
Rich