Doug Stewart via plug on 5 Dec 2021 14:11:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Thoughts on MySQL from a developer

The user management/process management required for Postgres was a killer in earlier days. I recall having to go into all manner of contortions to get users up and running with PGSQL, whereas MySQL was just a "CREATE USER" query. This allowed shared hosts to spin up lots of accounts and tables very quickly.

Quick and easy was a "better" solution than "robust and long-term bullet-proof".

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 4:39 PM Rich Freeman via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM JP Vossen via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I've never quite understood how MySQL got the mindshare it did, but there are an awful lot of projects that Just Work with MySQL and either don't work or require contortions for Postgres.

Part of it is that it got popular first, and was a "good enough"
solution that there wasn't much pressure to change.  "Good enough" can
be pretty insidious too as people tend to accept quite a bit of risk
without realizing it.  It also tended to perform better at least in
the early days, which I guess is easier to achieve when you don't care
about pesky things like transactions and journaling.

Less charitable to the community, I have a suspicion that an
inordinate amount of popularity was simply due to LAMP being such a
cute acronym.

--
Rich

-Doug