Keith via plug on 6 Dec 2021 10:43:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Thoughts on MySQL from a developer

On 12/6/21 1:34 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 1:27 PM Keith via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
I don't generally do LVM snapshots but I do run nilfs2 volumes on systems where I need filesystem snapshotting.  I haven't tested that with Pg or MySQL since I handle such tasks at the system or VM level but I like the idea of using quiesce.  I'll have to read up more on that.

I suspect those instructions work fine for mysql/lvm, but I would
check the docs to ensure that there is an official way to ensure the
files are quiescent.  Just locking and flushing the tables doesn't
necessarily ensure the files are "clean," though it could.  I'd think
this would be fairly software-specific.
Good point, though, if you can't trust a lock in a database, that's kinda problematic.  I would hope that that is not the case.

I would look at the database vendor/developer documentation for
supported backup methods.  This will ensure that your scripts don't
mysteriously break, probably between the time of disaster recovery
testing and an actual disaster.  Backup is usually a consideration
everybody looks at when choosing a database so any reputable product
will have plenty of documentation on how to do it in a supported way.
It is common that databases can be very large and take a long time to
dump, so they'll have some mechanism to do so safely.

That's where log shipping comes in or what PostgreSQL calls PITR.  I haven't played around with that either since my databases are reasonable to dump.

I wouldn't mind seeing how MySQL handles such a case though.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.