Syeed Ali via plug on 12 Dec 2021 22:29:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CPU Scaling

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 00:33:38 -0500 (EST)
"Keith C. Perry via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Walt, here's the kernel documentation link...
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guide/pm/cpufreq.html
>
> As Rich said, this has been around for a long time now. Typically
> you're not going to set frequencies directly and instead just change
> the scaling governor to "performance" if you want to max things out.

I've had experience with the "performance" setting, and I can confirm
that it turns your computer into a space heater.

It did grant a significant performance boost compared to the "ondemand"
governor setting when I was desperate for extra frames per second when
using wine many years ago on underpowered hardware.

I would not recommend ever using that setting since it's the
CPU-equivalent of crypto-mining with your GPU; it's constantly
redlining and stressing hardware.

-

As an aside, the OP may be interested in investigating the scheduler
being used:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.5/scheduler/index.html