Keith via plug on 13 Dec 2021 15:27:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CPU Scaling

On 12/13/21 1:28 AM, Syeed Ali via plug wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 00:33:38 -0500 (EST)
"Keith C. Perry via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

Walt, here's the kernel documentation link...

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guide/pm/cpufreq.html

As Rich said, this has been around for a long time now. Typically
you're not going to set frequencies directly and instead just change
the scaling governor to "performance" if you want to max things out.
I've had experience with the "performance" setting, and I can confirm
that it turns your computer into a space heater.
I had the same experience previously but it nice that see if you need and want to max out your system, it can be done rather easily.
It did grant a significant performance boost compared to the "ondemand"
governor setting when I was desperate for extra frames per second when
using wine many years ago on underpowered hardware.

I would not recommend ever using that setting since it's the
CPU-equivalent of crypto-mining with your GPU; it's constantly
redlining and stressing hardware.
I used to HAVE to do this when using my old Turion 64 x2 laptop when I was doing studio work.  In particular, when doing any audio work that needs to be "sample accurate".  I would have to max out CPU AND go into real time kernel scheduling.  The Turion could achieve that but it was pretty much the minimum hardware spec I came across that would do what I needed in Linux.  There were still times when I hard to reboot to start clean to get the hardware to cooperate but it gets there.  I'm pretty sure this was right around the time cgroups were becoming pretty solid but I switched to an FX-8350 system by then so I didn't really play around with RT scheduling to a group (which I think would have been less taxing than pressing the entire system into real time scheduling).
-

As an aside, the OP may be interested in investigating the scheduler
being used:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.5/scheduler/index.html
+1 on this.  Other than needed a real time environment, I haven't found much difference but I should probably play around with in again.  There's some weird things I see that can reliable occur on my systems that I'm wondering if changing the system or I/O scheduler (i.e. disk) might resolve.  It is pretty slick Linux users can play with these things to really get their system (kernel) dialed in.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167