Steve Litt via plug on 22 Dec 2021 19:25:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Running out of disk space?

brent timothy saner via plug said on Wed, 22 Dec 2021 04:17:06 -0500

>I get it, you don't have to like systemd. A lot of people don't just
>because it's different.

"Different" isn't why they dislike it. The many reasons it's
disliked include:

* It's non-modular, and no, the fact that something is made up of
  modules doesn't make it modular. Everything is interacting with
  everything else, tracing is difficult.
  http://troubleshooters.com/linux/systemd/lol_systemd.htm

* Systemd is so complex that nobody has successfully drawn a functional
  diagram of systemd that includes interaction lines between the
  modules.

* Many of systemd's features are solutions to non-problems, or problems
  that were solved long ago.

* It has solutions that would be much better solved outside of PID1
  and/or the init system constellation.

* WONTFIX

* It takes 6 fulltime highly paid developers to keep the systemd Jenga
  tower erect. Init systems Runit and s6 were each created by a single
  developer in his spare time. I've been using now unmaintained runit
  for six years and it's never screwed up on me, not once.

* 1.3 million lines of systemd code is one hell of an attack surface.
  Compare this to 25,000 loc for runit. And contrary to anti-runit FUD,
  runit run scripts are about the same size as equivalent systremd unit
  files.

* Systemd advocates are out there trying to get other software to
  *require* systemd. The practical result is it's trivial to replace
  any init system with any other init system, except if the original
  init system is systemd. Systemd avoiders consider systemd to be a
  form of vendor lock-in.

They don't object to systemd for being different. Init systems runit,
s6 and OpenRC are different, and there's very little objection to them.

It might as well be said that I don't like Covid-19 because it's
different.

SteveT

Steve Litt