brent timothy saner via plug on 22 Dec 2021 01:17:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Running out of disk space?

On 12/20/21 16:57, Martin Cracauer via plug wrote:
> H Mottaleb via plug wrote on Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 05:27:25PM -0500:
> Rant:
>
> Also, systemd sucks.  It should never hang without diagnostics like
> that.  And in FreeBSD you could press control-C to proceed with the
> next item in boot order.  Or Control-\ to also get a core dump from
> the hand-producing entity.  I never understood why Linux (systemd or
> not) doesn't implement this.  Now that systemd is the default
> undebuggable hangs are the new normal.

In all fairness you brought this on yourself, but this is definitely a
"tell me you don't know anything about systemd without saying you don't
know anything about systemd" sort of thing.

I get it, you don't have to like systemd. A lot of people don't just
because it's different. That's fine. But there's a difference between
that and just flat-out making completely false assertions to further an
agenda. FUD has no place here.

> proceed with the next item in boot order

systemd boots items in parallel (according to dependencies), but this
can be disabled and via the exact behavior you describe with a kernel param.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.html#systemd.confirm_spawn

> to get a core dump

Yep, does that too, automatically.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.html#systemd.dump_core

But if you want to manually generate a core dump, sure- you can do that
too with gdb. Can't even get to a shell? `init=/bin/bash` still works
just fine.

There is, of course, also things like `systemd.unit=emergency.target`
(or `systemd.unit=rescye.target`), systemd.debug_shell, etc. etc.

> undebuggable

lol.Debugging is usually enabled by default, according to distro, and
has an extensive amount of information.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.html#systemd.log_color

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.html#debug