brent timothy saner via plug on 22 Dec 2021 01:28:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] tutorials, root in Ubuntu

On 12/18/21 21:02, Lynn Bradshaw via plug wrote:
> I was looking into GNUPG lately. The amount of work that went into
> creating such a thing needs to be respected but it hasn't aged too
> well. Here is an updated, easier to use equivalent:
>
> https://github.com/FiloSottile/age
>
> It's implemented in Go but there is also a Rust version too (rage).
> Both implementations seem to offer a good deal of information
> security.

Every year or two, some project claims to come up with a GPG/OpenPGP
replacement. And sure, some of them do good things. But they won't succeed.

GPG and the OpenPGP protocol/format is still around and heavily used.
These alternatives aren't. :) None of them have been able to replace
GPG/OpenPGP despite multiple attempts because they all attempt to
simplify and reduce a multiple-function implementation into only the
functionality *they* find useful, which then removes the tight
integration between the functions. In other words, they miss the forest
for the particular tree they like the shade of.

A key reason is also namely ubiquity - GPG already exists on a fresh
install on every Linux distro. It's used for package signing and heavily
integrated into every(?) Linux distro package manager. It has RFCs
associated with the OpenPGP format - open, canonical sources for a standard.

Ease of use is great, but it's not what makes or breaks a digital
signing and encryption implementation nor gives it longevity.