Walt Mankowski via plug on 5 Jan 2022 15:51:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Open source Mail client

The short answer is "Please don't." You're inevitably going to piss
people off by setting your signature to be an image. Also there are
some of us who still read a lot of our email in text mode browsers
like mutt, and we'll ever see your signature.

If you insist on doing it anyway, the thing to understand is that
email is at its heart a text-only medium. The way programs do rich
text is by formatting it as HTML and sending it as an attachment.
Because of that legacy, any support for images in signatures is going
to be spotty and not universally supported. The Mail program on macOS,
for instance, seems to only support plain-text signatures, while
Fastmail's web GUI has its complete rich text icon bar.

Looking at Thunderbird's support page for signatures [1] it looks like
you could either pick an file to be your signature, or you could
include HTML with an IMG tag to pull the image from somewhere else.

1. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/signatures

Walt