Walt Mankowski via plug on 20 Jan 2022 09:28:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] patch Ubuntu now, Wine

Thanks for posting this. I'm very confused by their "advice",
though. They write

> So it's possibly a good thing that "Hirsute Hippo", as Ubuntu 21.04
> is nicknamed, just went end of life today (20 January 2022). If you
> have any 21.04 machines, it's time to upgrade them now. That means
> 21.10 "Impish Indri" for the moment, until the next LTS release
> appears in April.

Since the bug exists in both 21.04 and 21.10, what's the point in
upgrading to 24.10 just because of this?

Also, as far as I can tell from https://ubuntu.com/security/CVE-2022-0185,
this was fixed in a patch to the "linux" package that came out a few
days ago.

Based on this, my advice would be

* If you're on 21.04 or 21.10, make sure you install the latest
  security updates (always a good idea to start on top of those!)

* If you're on 21.04, it just went end of life. You should update to
  21.10 because of that, but not because of this particular security
  bug, which likely has already been fixed in a security patch.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Walt