Rich Freeman via plug on 7 Feb 2022 13:33:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] utils

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 3:01 PM Mark Bergman via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> for 2000+ lines of code to do the moral equivalent of "rm -i". To be
> fair, at $WORK we've got the luxury of filesystem snapshots to solve
> the problem of an accidental "rm".

Please tell me that your filesystem snapshotting capability was
implemented in no more than 2000 lines of code.  ;)

> I don't mean to disparage the quality of 'trash-cli', or the author's
> intent to help others, but I believe that the project a a fundamental
> example of not being aware of the history of the Unix environment.

I'm pretty sure the author of the software has heard of rm and the
"-i" option that half the distros alias in as a default anyway.  It
really isn't the same as a trash can since most people who use it
probably develop an instinctive "y" reaction, and often mistaken
deletions aren't appreciated right away.

Sure, some filesystems provide a similar capability, but most don't,
and it made sense for desktop environments to implement something like
this.

Unless you're running at near-capacity or you have OCD,
delete-this-in-a-few-weeks is as good as deletion most of the time.
Your space will get reclaimed, and if you decide you made a mistake
you can easily get your data back.

Seems reasonable to have a command-line option for this that
integrates with the desktop environment.  Probably would make sense
for 95% of users to have it aliased to rm for their regular user
account.

And if you don't want to use it then it is easy enough to not use it,
same as libc or binutils or readline...

--
Rich