Keith C. Perry via plug on 9 Feb 2022 10:09:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Way Off Topic: Raise a Weather Station Mast

The first question that comes to mind for me is what does the weather station actually look like?  If you have the make and model?  That would really help the conversation.

Generally speaking though, some sort of telescoping pole or mast is going to be the way to go.  Weight is more of a factor for poles and simpler to install but with a mast you can do anything you want.  The problem with a mast is that it would need to be on the ground.

I'm partial to rigging things with rope so if you had a way to get that height on your property I would look at that too.  I have a large brick chimney so in my case I would use some soft of standoff from there with rope or a rope and pulley mechanism to lower it for servicing.  Such a thing might be doable but does sacrifice some height over roof to keep things simple.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Casey Bralla via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "PLUG Philadelphia Linux Users Group" <PLUG@Lists.PhillyLinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 9, 2022 12:31:28 PM
Subject: [PLUG] Way Off Topic: Raise a Weather Station Mast

Sorry for off-topic, but you guys are clever and creative.  (I was going
to say "good looking", but that was too much of a stretch :) )

I want to mount a wired (not wireless) wind speed and direction sensor
about 6 feet above the peak of my 2-story house.  The simplest way would
be to mount a TV antennae pole on the side of the house, but his has 2
major problems:

1.  I'm afraid of heights and can't climb a ladder that high to install it

2.  I want to be able to service the unit about once per year, so it's
gotta be accessible

So here are some of my ideas:

1.  Use a telescoping pole mounted to the side of the house at "step
ladder height" (where I am comfortable).  Not sure where to get a
telescoping pole.

2.  Hire somebody to mount it, and to retrieve it when service is needed

3.  Build a ground-anchored hinged pole that I can use pulleys and
cables to raise into position, then lock somehow

4.  Mount the station away from the house at step ladder height and run
a wire to it.

Anybody got any brilliant ideas?