Soren Harward via plug on 10 Feb 2022 10:44:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Way Off Topic: Raise a Weather Station Mast

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 12:31 PM Casey Bralla via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Anybody got any brilliant ideas?

When my SAR team needs to put up an antenna in the field, we use a portable mast like this one: https://www.willburt.com/products/telescopic-masts/am2/ . It has 1M sections that fit together
nicely, and the whole thing can be stabilized with guy lines. We've never left it deployed for more than a few days, though.

Honestly, unless you really need NWS-grade accuracy, I think your best bet is #4: mount the sensor on a pole 3–4m above the ground, as far away from any walls as you can within wire length and property boundary constraints. I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm still really hesitant to work >5m above ground without any kind of safety mechanism.

--
Soren Harward