JP Vossen via plug on 24 Feb 2022 12:18:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] du,sed,sql,free tools

Just to be clear, `ncdu` automates the recursive manual `du` process you describe, making it *much* easier and faster.

On 2/22/22 21:49, Michael Lazin via plug wrote:
I used to deal with space issues on shared hosting servers and ran "du -sh ./*" in the root directory to find the biggest directory, descend into it and run it again until I found the files that hog space. I showed this to a Mac user once and it blew their mind, it does work in MacOS and it does not have any decent utility to do this like Windows does.  I realize this is slightly off-topic but I find this really handy on Linux and MacOS.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 8:32 PM JP Vossen via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org <mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org>> wrote:
     > Anyone using du may also want to take a look at ncdu. Ncdu is a small,
     > lightweight ncurses version of du. The screen is already sorted, you can
     > navigate in/out of folders, and the display includes a simple bar chart
     > (of #'s) to show items relative size to each other. You can switch the
     > chart display between chart, percentage, both, and none via the "g" key.
     > You can also delete stuff from within ncdu.

    +10 for `ncdu`.

Later,
JP