Keith C. Perry via plug on 28 Feb 2022 10:19:11 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Off Topic: HVAC

John,

Not sure if you and I had a conversation about this before but I do all of my controls with OpenHAB using Aeotec multi-sensors (z-wave) and TP-Link smart switches (wifi).  I'm in an old Quaker house that didn't have the heating system put in correctly so supplement  using infrared heaters.  I'm able to make a set point and then OH turns the heaters on or off as needed.

For air conditioning in my office I have another sensor that reports temp and humidity to control turning the windows A/C unit.  Automation rules in this case are based on high temp or high humidity readings.  The window A/C unit is "dumb" unit but DOES remember its temp set point.

I can't tell you how much this automation has helped keep my home comfortable no matter what the season.  It was an easy and affordable project since I was already using OH for lighting controls.  The only consumable cost is the  batteries for the sensors.  I have readings done every 15 minutes so I go through 2 CR123 batteries per sensor ever 6 - 7 months.  I'm fine with that but you certainly extend battery life with less frequency reporting or you can usb power the sensors to get sub-minute reporting if you have the ability deploy that way.

They'll probably be some other automation wins you come up with.  For instance, in my living room also has a wall mounter infrared heater that we use when its not too cold or when we need supplemental heat.  Because I still haven't felt the need to swap out my current thermostat with one that could integrated into OH and putting another sense up would be a waste, I have a "protection" rule that turns off the living room heat when both the 3rd heaters are off.  This way if we forget to turn off the living room heat eventually the system will which is typically at night once we've gone to bed and have adjusted the set points down.

So you know, my controller for OH is now an Odroid C4 using the Aeotect Z-stick.  I previously was running it on a BeagleBone Black.  In both cases, the units are powered via a PoE switch using a PoE splitter.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167