Chris Thistlethwaite via plug on 4 Apr 2022 07:31:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Video Capture Devices

Something else to consider, if you're encoding/ripping from HDMI you can only do that in real-time as you're going to have to play the video in order to capture it. If you used software instead, then you can encode as fast as your hardware and APIs let you.

Let's say you have a personal DVD that you made with your own copyright and own the rights to copy, then you should look at makemkv and Handbrake. Then you lost the DVD in a freak DVD accident and before that happened you uploaded it to YouTube, then lost your hard drive backup in a freak hard drive backup accident, then you should look at youtube-dl https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl or it's arguable better fork yt-dlp https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp. youtube-dl (and variants) will download video from a number of sites https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/blob/master/docs/supportedsites.md, just in case you used DailyMotion for your upload instead of YouTube.

 That is a very real scenario, like my wedding DVD that I ripped to keep a backup. The wedding videographer is long since out of business, DVDs don't last forever especially if they get physically damaged. Also, I don't have a DVD player on all my TVs, so I wanted to use Plex to be able to watch it. Granted I didn't upload it to DailyMotion, but that's just something that someone might do vs setting up Plex or their own media streaming platform.

-CT

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 9:43 AM Martin Cracauer via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Carl Johnson via plug wrote on Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 11:50:08AM -0400:
> Yup. The "do not copy" thing you're talking about is known as HDCP. It'll
> likely get in your way. There are devices that'll strip that out of the
> signal path but, they're kinda' spendy.

Those $25 HDMI "splitters" which output 2 HDMI from one strip HDCP.
AKAIK all of them do (forced to, otherwise no split).

Martin

> On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 11:39 AM Casey Bralla via plug <
> plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
> > I've been wondering about using a HDMI capture card to record 4K content
> > delivered via one of the many streaming services.
> >
> > Putting aside the obvious illegality of recording copyrighted material,
> > will it work technically?
> >
> > You can purchase a "4K HDMI" capture card for around $35.  It will only
> > record 2-channel stereo sound, but does the HDMI standard included a "do
> > not copy" signal or something that would prevent recording the stream?

Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/

-Chris