Fred Stluka via plug on 4 Apr 2022 18:47:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Alternatives to Dropbox on Linux

Walt,

Yeah, I've never used the online-only mode.  I always keep local
copies of all shared files on all of my devices (laptops, phones,
etc.), and just let Dropbox keep them in sync.

Whenever I add/modify/delete any local file in my Dropbox
folder tree on any of my synced devices, it automatically updates
the other devices.  Usually within a second or 2, so I never have
to worry about jumping from device to device and editing
anywhere I want.  It just works.

If I ever DID manage to edit the same file in 2 places before the
sync happens, it would show a conflict and allow me to resolve
it.  That hasn't happened in at least 5-8 years though, so I don't
even remember what it looks like any more.  I just remember
that it was very obvious and very easy.

I also use Dropbox for sharing files with other people.  I have
about a dozen different Dropbox subfolder trees configured
for sharing with a dozen small groups of friend and colleagues.
Whenever any of us adds/modified/deletes a file, it is synced to
all of the devices of the rest of us in that group.

For more info on how I use Dropbox, see:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Internet.htm#dropbox

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!