Walt Mankowski via plug on 11 Apr 2022 15:41:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Book: Modern Mainframe Development

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 02:01:41PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> On 4/11/22 11:45, Elizabeth K. Joseph via plug wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 12:00 PM JP Vossen via plug
> > <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> > > While this may seem OT for this list, it's not.
> > >
> > > I've just started reading a 2022-03 _Modern Mainframe Development_ book
> > > (345 pages), and I find it really interesting.  Thus far it has made a compelling
> > > case for the strong demand side of skilling up in COBOL and IBM mainframe
> > > technologies.  This is pretty interesting too: https://github.com/search?q=COBOL.
> >
> > As you may expect, I have a lot to say about this :) I too am making
> > my way through this book (disclaimer: O'Reilly sent me a review copy
> > due to my "expertise and influence in this area"). I was in touch with
> > Tom just prior to his book release, nice guy and a quick look at the
> > acknowledgements shows me that he really did his homework and spoke
> > with the right people to put this book together.
> <snip>
>
> Oh yes, this one is RIGHT up your alley, you'll love it.  I was actually slightly surprised that you aren't in it, because he interviewed a lot of folks and you are a perfect fit for it.  And I agree 100% about the homework part.
>
> I'll do a follow-up when I finish it, but the style is quite unusual, with several parts evangelism, 1 part press release (lots of very "press releasy" quotes), 1 part very high level demo/tutorial, 1 part intro to COBOL, and some other stuff mixed in.  I've never read anything quite like this mix.  I personally find it very fascinating though I'll admit I'm skipping over some sections with no relevance to me.

I just tracked down the table of contents for that book[1]. I wish
this book existed back when I was working at QVC, because this sort of
information was essentially impossible to find without going directly
to IBM, and even that was very obtuse. I mean, stuff like JCL is
already obtuse, so just imagine what the reference documentation was like!

1. https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/modern-mainframe-development/9781098107017/