Walt Mankowski via plug-announce via plug on 11 Apr 2022 16:04:36 -0700

[PLUG] [plug-announce] Tue Apr 12 - PLUG North - "Modern Cobol" by Elizabeth Joseph and Walt Mankowski (7pm EDT online)

Last minute change of plans!

Thanks to the COBOL discussion today, we're going to devote this
month's meeting to Modern COBOL.

First, PLUG North welcomes back Elizabeth Joseph. Liz is a developer
advocate at IBM. She'll be on the call from 7-8 PM to talk about a
new report from the Open Mainframe Project COBOL Working Group. Then
I'll be giving an encore presentation of a talk I did at PLUG back in
2017 called "Secrets of the dead: What modern programmers can learn
from COBOL".

For what to expect, Liz says her part will be "not so formal, but
chatty". I've got a proper presentation, but it's more about giving a
flavor of what programming in COBOL is like vs a formal tutorial.

We'll be using Jitsi Meet, a free and open source videoconferencing
platform, for the meeting. The meeting will start at 7 PM EDT (2300
UTC). Liz can only stay on until 8 so we'll try to start promptly at 7
this month.

You can access the meeting online at

https://meet.jit.si/PLUGNorthApril2022

Jitsi Meet also has apps for iOS and Android. If you decide to
use one of those apps, use meeting code "PLUGNorthApril2022".