JP Vossen via plug on 12 Apr 2022 20:57:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fw: [plug-announce] Tue Apr 12 - PLUG North - "Modern Cobol" by Elizabeth Joseph and Walt Mankowski (7pm EDT online)

For PLUG, thanks for Lyz and Walt for some neat information and discussion.

For everyone, this topic came up because I mentioned I was reading a fascinating book that just came out:
* https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/modern-mainframe-development/9781098107017/
* _Modern Mainframe Development_
* by Tom Taulli
* Released March 2022
* Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
* ISBN: 9781098107024
* 345 pages

It says...pretty much everything Steve says below, and a lot more.  According to ch04 and per https://oreil.ly/L8Lcz:
* Every day 200 times more COBOL transactions are performed versus Google searches.
* More than 220 billion lines of code are running today, or about 80% of the world’s total.
* About 1.5 billion new lines of COBOL are written each year.

That does not match up with the numbers Lyz had, her COBOL LoC number was WAY higher.  But still, interesting.

Anyway, it's a cool book.

PLUG email thread starts: http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2022-04/msg00027.html