Walt Mankowski via plug on 13 Apr 2022 08:33:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fw: [plug-announce] Tue Apr 12 - PLUG North - "Modern Cobol" by Elizabeth Joseph and Walt Mankowski (7pm EDT online)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 08:14:56AM -0700, Elizabeth K. Joseph via plug wrote:
> I dug in a little bit to the slide deck[0] that's linked to the
> YouTube video link in the book, and it looks like these numbers were
> gathered in June 2020 and they're cited often, but I don't see a
> reference for them immediately available. The numbers I shared were
> from other surveys from 2021. The thing to know about all these
> numbers is that they're all estimates based on extrapolation from
> companies who do participate in the surveys, and then those who are
> also known to use COBOL and educated guesses about their usage.
>
> So in my presentation last night, I actually had three numbers for
> lines of code out there: 200 billion, 250 billion, and 800 billion.
> The first two came from the same survey by the Open Mainframe Project
> COBOL Working Group, as a conservative estimate (250 seems to be where
> they finally landed after full analysis) and the 800 billion came from
> a second survey from Micro Focus, which is the vendor for Micro Focus
> Visual COBOL, one of the versions of COBOL out there (COBOL is a
> standard, so there are several versions of it, including GnuCOBOL and
> Enterprise COBOL for z/OS). I've seen estimates as high as 8 billion
> for the new lines of COBOL code written each year.

One thing I noticed in your slides but forgot to mention at the time
was that it was counting programs that run every day. That means it
excludes all those end of week/month/quarter/year reports out there in
the world!

Walt