Chris Thistlethwaite via plug on 25 Apr 2022 15:06:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] more on the Insteon shutdown

Just another 2 cents.

Zwave > Zigbee for the only reason that zwave is a certified standard and ZigBee isn't. You can pick up any zwave device and pair it with any zwave controller. Companies can take ZigBee and setup their devices so they only work with their hub.

As for amount of devices I think they are either tied or ZigBee wins, don't remember atm. Zwaves biggest problem with that is just network chatter and mesh interference.

-CT

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022, 5:35 PM Keith via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 4/25/22 17:08, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 2:03 PM Keith C. Perry via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>> Z-wave as far as I recall has always been mesh too.  Maybe is wasn't as good before but I'm using all 500 series products and any powered device repeats.
> The other thing I heard at the time was that Insteon could handle more
> devices - thousands potentially.  I have no idea if that is an issue
> for z-wave/zigbee/etc.
Ok.  Fair enough though.  I think z-wave is a couple of hundred devices
so practically speaking that's a moot point.  Most people simply don't
have any where near that many devices.  Its 232 devices simultaneously
so it will be some time before that becomes and issue.  There will be
software upgrades.
>> That said, I'm curious if you care to share what you are thinking about doing with your installation going forward.
> Right now I have no immediate plans to change anything.  I have never
> used any Insteon cloud products/etc, and the list traffic was the
> first I heard they were having any issues.  All my Insteon devices
> continue to work exactly as they have before.  The actual protocols
> are non-IP-based and don't go through the LAN - they talk to a modem
> that is plugged into my OpenHab controller via USB, so obviously that
> isn't going to care what happens on the internet or if I even have an
> Internet connection.
>
> I'd almost be tempted to see if I can find some of their hardware on
> discount on ebay/etc if people start getting rid of it.
>
> If I need to replace or add hardware I'd just see what the best option
> is and choose that.  With OpenHab (and I'm sure HomeAssistant) you can
> mix/match whatever hardware you want.  I can replace one device with
> another and just edit my config file which maps devices to the
> hardware layer, and all my logic will continue to run as usual.  That
> is one of the reasons I wanted to use an FOSS controller and not get
> locked into one of the proprietary controllers.  I can use the best
> device for each use case.

In light of this situation, you should be able to pick up a bunch of
things for cheap now.  Yey you !

To be clear though, this was already a non-issue for you since you
already had an OH server on net to handle all you local control, yes?

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.