JP Vossen via plug on 4 May 2022 08:35:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Book: Modern Mainframe Development

You can get a free eBook copy of this book by giving them the usual data: https://www.bmc.com/forms/modern-mainframe-development-ebook.html.

On 4/9/22 15:00, JP Vossen wrote:
While this may seem OT for this list, it's not.

I've just started reading a 2022-03 _Modern Mainframe Development_ book (345 pages), and I find it really interesting.  Thus far it has made a compelling case for the strong demand side of skilling up in COBOL and IBM mainframe technologies.  This is pretty interesting too: https://github.com/search?q=COBOL.

The first part of the book has a fascinating discussion of mainframe technologies, past and present, up to the ability to run 6,000 Linux VMs on a single piece of zero-downtime hardware.  While I already knew this, the discussion of where the terms and concepts of hypervisors and virtual machines really came from--1960's era mainframes--will probably surprise some folks on this list.  I'm just getting to some parts about COBOL, which we've talked about here before, especially with Walt's presentations.  But he already covered COBOL development support in VS Code, among other IDEs and tools.

Side note: https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/16/new_cobol_contender/

There's a lot in here about Linux, devops, agile, Git, and lots more I haven't read yet, but so far it's really interesting and I think worth a look to a lot of folks on this list.
Later,
JP