Syeed Ali via plug on 14 May 2022 01:54:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Correct Horse Battery Staple

> On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 8:20 PM jeffv via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
> > On 5/4/22 14:31, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> > > I would also argue that some kind of password manager is a
> > > requiremen these days, especially for most if not all on this
> > > list.  After that, it gets tricky fast.  I use various KeePass*
> > > because it is NOT in the cloud
> >
> > Bingo.
> > +1

> On Wed, 4 May 2022 20:40:39 -0400
> "K.S. Bhaskar via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
> +1 for KeePass.

+1

A password keeper grants far more than just varieties and complexities
of passwords, it allows backups and portability.  Web browser keepers
could do most of the job and are certainly better than nothing.
However, I prefer to separate that functionality to something
specialized because it lets me have a separate little database file to
work with more easily:

I have KeePassXC installed and working on Windows, Linux and Android.

The database is on a desktop, with a backup (in a fireproof safe), and
it's also synced to the clown (with versioning).

It gets copied to a USB stick (solid state) which is a combination
USB-A and USB-C.  This is put on a keychain.  I have the KeePassXC
software also there as a portable executable.

That stick is duplicated to another stick and set aside.

My phone can use the stick without an OTG adapter.  The stick
filesystem is NTFS and my phone has the drivers to read it.  KeePass* is
installed and working on my phone and the whole system has been tested
and works.

For technical reasons I might change the filesystem.  Bonus points for
guessing why.