jeffv via plug on 8 Jul 2022 13:26:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] AM bye bye

On 7/8/22 15:48, Rich Freeman wrote:

Yeah, my car lacks an AM receiver for this reason.

you can get an FM-only car radio?
In Europe you can get a shortwave car radio.

That said, I am not sure I agree with one statement in that article:
that AM is "cheaper" to transmit.  I guess that would depend on how
you're measuring it,

Agreed.
Prob less signal 'massaging', if that counts.

it's kinda cool that you can pump 50kw into a huge antenna and be heard all over the place at night, due to the signal bouncing off an atmosphere layer. I listened to a Boston station from Phila to MD one night on I95.

We sometimes like WZZO in Allentown. Used to come in great. Past 3 car radios not so much. Might be the antennae.

Then again, maybe the AM transmitters really are cheaper.  I couldn't

to purchase? That would be my guess too.
They use HUMONGOUS vacuum tubes and it's not a good idea to mess around inside.

One area I haven't seen any talk of phasing out AM is in air traffic
control,

*if* that were going to happen, it would have to be through the government (FCC, a formerly useful org). That would not move quickly. Plus the modulation is chosen for best operation, even though there is some FM in some places. [scanner listener]

 but that operates in the VHF band so everything is much more
compact (obviously useful on aircraft).

Radios can be smaller than your car radio, and AM/FM is a matter of a switch. The old tube jobbies were large and really heavy (referred to as boatanchors - I'm sitting next to one). Both civilian and military.

airplanes use shortwave on overseas trips because AM/FM won't go that far.

 It is mainly used there
because it is more obvious when multiple stations are stepping on each
other which makes it more clear that somebody might not have heard an
urgent instruction.

Thanks. Never knew that.

  I'd think that you could come up with a digital
mode that would improve on that substantially but I guess AM is good
enough and nobody wants to change it.

I vote for K.I.S.S.
Esp with the amount of failures lately.

Oh, and I'll second the idea that broadcast radio is of limited use

To be clear (sorry), I was referring to broadcast radio content.
(unless you like to hear the same 10 HIT songs repeatedly)