Art Clemons via plug on 8 Jul 2022 14:18:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] AM bye bye

On 7/8/22 16:26, jeffv via plug wrote:

Agreed.
Prob less signal 'massaging', if that counts.

it's kinda cool that you can pump 50kw into a huge antenna and be heard all over the place at night, due to the signal bouncing off an atmosphere layer. I listened to a Boston station from Phila to MD one night on I95.

We sometimes like WZZO in Allentown. Used to come in great. Past 3 car radios not so much. Might be the antennae.

Then again, maybe the AM transmitters really are cheaper.  I couldn't

to purchase? That would be my guess too.
They use HUMONGOUS vacuum tubes and it's not a good idea to mess around inside.

The station you likely heard was WBZ-1030, it used to be heard all over the country as did I believe WPHT (formerly WCAU) on 1210 and KYW-AM was heard in much of the country too.

AM radio is subject to a lot of problems from external noise presently, computers, heat pumps, power lines and thousands of other sources.  Its major problem though is that it failed to attract a younger audience, and as its audience dies off, so will its viability.  FM radio too has failed to attract new young listeners, in part because of cable tv and also the internet offering a variety of entertainment sources.

Finally, most AM transmitters are solid state, the switch was starting  40 years ago or so with 1 KW transmitters, and larger ones gradually came along with higher and higher power.