Rich Freeman via plug on 8 Jul 2022 14:34:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] AM bye bye

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 5:18 PM Art Clemons via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Finally, most AM transmitters are solid state, the switch was starting  40 years ago or so with 1 KW transmitters, and larger ones gradually came along with higher and higher power.

I was chatting with my father about it and as I understand it a lot of
the higher-power solid state amplifiers came out of the MRI field.
MRIs actually have really high power levels (10s of kW), though with
very low duty cycles (millisecond pulse lengths with lots of 10s-100s
of ms breaks).  I imagine there are a couple of fields where
reasonably high power and solid state are useful.  Radar is probably
another big one but those might use tubes.

--
Rich