Rich Freeman via plug on 9 Jul 2022 06:27:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] AM bye bye

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 6:46 PM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Two things I thought of while reading this discussion:
>
> * Maybe the licenses are cheaper than FM since AM is considered such a
>   backwater these days.

Yeah, that is quite possible.  There is more demand for FM broadcast,
and additionally the band is much more desirable so there would also
be demand from other potential users (TV, cell phones, etc) if the FCC
entertained reallocating the frequencies.  Both would tend to push up
licensing costs.

--
Rich