Walt Mankowski via plug on 23 Sep 2022 17:27:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] free courses, systemd Win, hashquines

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:26:29AM -0400, jeffv via plug wrote:
> Microsoft adds 'systemd' to the Windows Subsystem for Linux
>
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-adds-systemd-to-the-windows-subsystem-for-linux/

Here's some more technical info from Microsoft on systemd for WSL:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/systemd-support-is-now-available-in-wsl/

> This image contains its own MD5 checksum — and it's kind of a big deal
>
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/this-image-contains-its-own-md5-checksum-and-its-kind-of-a-big-deal/
>
> Hashquines: files containing their own checksums

The folks at PoC||GTFO [1] did this in issue 0x14 back in 2017. Not
only did they put the PDF's MD5 hash on the cover page, the PDF is
also a ZIP file containing the source code for the issue, and it's
ALSO an NES ROM which, when played, prints out its MD5 hash! They
explain how they did it starting on page 56 of that issue.

(Full disclosure: one of the authors was my labmate in grad school.)

1. https://www.alchemistowl.org/pocorgtfo/