Steve Litt via plug on 20 Oct 2022 16:16:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [OT] SW radio question

Keith C. Perry via plug said on Thu, 20 Oct 2022 17:36:40 -0400 (EDT)

>If I can also throw out a recommendation for the hams among us, I
>highly recommend the  MFJ-971 manual tuner, which requires NO POWER
>(unless you want to backlight the screen and even then its very
>littel).  You can't go wrong pairing this with a [QRP] transceiver to
>work regionally (i.e. inside the skip zone) so you know what is going
>on around you.

I can't help wondering: If the whole grid went down, so there are very
few operating transmitters in your area, with no wifi, microwaves and
the like, I wonder just how far 5 watts could go at 5 or 10Mhz on a
winter night. I don't think Marconi used much power to transmit static
clicks across the Atlantic.

SteveT