LeRoy Cressy via plug on 6 Nov 2022 18:18:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Box won't boot after RAID drive swap

On 11/6/22 18:14, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> I tried again this afternoon. I put the old drive back in, checked all
> the cables and connections, and turned it on. It booted up just fine!
>
> So then I shut it down and put the new drive back in. It wouldn't boot
> up, because apparently it *really* wants both drives n the array before
> it will boot.
>
> I tried booting into recovery mode. I tried commenting out some
> references to the RAID in /etc/fstab. It still wouldn't boot.
>
> So then I put the old drive back in. My plan was to boot it up,
> explicitly tell mdadm to remove the bad drive from the array, then
> shutdown and do another swap back to the new drive. Now we're back to it
> spontaneously shutting down before it finishes booting!

I also have a system I built in 2017 which I built a RAID 1 array.
Needless to say I recently read the mdadm man page.  It seems that you
cannot just pull a drive and replace it.  It appears that you have to
add a drive to your existing system.  Partition the drive and add the
partition to your Raid array with mdadm.  Then after you added the new
partition to your array, then you can remove the bad drive from the array.

Before you remove the old drive, I would reboot the system with the
three drives installed and check /proc/mdstat.  If the new drive
partition is not listed, you could consider editing /etc/mdadm.conf

My mdadm Raid was setup by Arch Linux install process.  my
/etc/mdadm.conf has these lines which check all of the partitions.

# The designation "partitions" will scan all # partitions found in
# /proc/partitions
DEVICE partitions

I hope this helps Walt.

--
  Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy
  mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com

   /\_/\
  ( o.o )
   > ^ <

Cell Phone: 267-668-9686

GnuPG Fingerprint:
D234 65D6 2822 211B F82F  A6CA B332 4CC8 ACBF D200

You can find me on the following:

Telegram:
     (My Main Channel)
	https://t.me/RevLeRoy