jeff via plug on 17 Nov 2022 07:34:47 -0800

[PLUG] display

I have spent a while looking for a reason my laptop has this horrible 2-3 second delay. There are no extra processes hogging up CPU and no untoward net access.

I very smartly changed the driver from proprietary Nvidia to Xorg. It smartly rebooted and smartly put everything back to the broken display, completely ignoring my prior setup and external monitor, where everything went to because of the broken LCD connection/monitor. Now I can't see OR move anything to the external monitor. It naturally won't even boot to a USB to try running live or reinstalling.

Unless there are any ideas, it's back to Sys76 for repair. They should probably stop making parts out of semi-hardened marshmallow. Their customer service, however, is second to none.

2nd laptop seizes and req manual power shutdown. Seems really hot.
The only thing the syslog shows is literally a line of squares.
There's also something about escaping a ring and graphics. It was a popular problem, from many years ago, but no solutions worked for me. I'd still be using this laptop if it weren't for this minor issue.

3rd laptop is 32 bit. Works just fine, albeit very slowly, but....

Just for your amusement, my phone was absolutely convinced the other day that the date was 4/2/2003. Reboot fixed it.

I know about sage, chickens, exorcism, holy water, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If you can make any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Good luck, Walt!