Walt Mankowski via plug on 17 Nov 2022 08:21:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] More hardware woes

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 10:52:31AM -0500, Keith via plug wrote:
> I would almost be of a mindset to bring it back to Microcenter and tell them
> that the same thing happened and oh-by-the-way, "show me the tests you did
> for my $40".

Yeah, it's super frustrating. But to be fair, it worked for me when I
brought it home, too.

> That said, I think you're not too far from me during the day so if you want
> to borrow a PS tester I have one but I have another weird suggestion I don't
> think I heard you try.
>
> Can you to take the computer and plug it somewhere else in your place that
> is at least not on the same circuit as your current receptacle?  Ideally you
> want to be on a different circuit and phase but unless you did some major
> electrical work on your place you might not know which receptacles are on
> which phase (and you might not be multi-phase anyway).  A good choice would
> be a receptacle in the washer / dryer area when there are not running. It
> would be best to use a decent extension cord if you need one (i.e. not one
> from a convenience store).

It's currently plugged into a relatively new UPS. I can try plugging
it into a different outlet. I'm skeptical that it will change
anything, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

I live in a big apartment building with a laundry room in the
basement, so that's not really an option.

> My rationale for this comes from a similar issue I have at my place, which
> is an old Quaker house where the electrical work done here was <sarc>
> special </sarc>.  I've fixed most things but I have one situation where my
> printer will not print if it is plugged into the receptacle and circuit
> everything else is plugged into.  At stand-by it is fine but when it would
> try to spin up to print, there would be just enough voltage sage to trip the
> transfer switch for the protected items but not enough to pop the breaker.
> That's not the weirdest of occurrences and maybe you're familiar with this
> type of situation but it is something that can happen.  Typically more
> possible in older buildings but I've seen happen in more modern structures
> as well.  This can also be another instance of a one-and-done as I described
> before where you didn't have an issue until you did but that issue is not
> going away.  I don't think it was the dust but the difference in
> environments (your home and their office) could matter. Electrical
> infrastructure is the only relevant thing that jumps out to me.  This is
> pretty easy test too.  I can volunteer my 50ft heavy duty extension cord for
> the job.

I can see why you'd think that, but it's been plugged into the same
spot for years without any problem. It worked 5 minutes earlier in the
same outlet!

The only other thing I can think of is that replacing the drive
involved flipping over the box on its side, so maybe a now a cable is
touching something it shouldn't be. Or something. Who knows?

Walt