Walt Mankowski via plug on 16 Nov 2022 18:31:21 -0800

[PLUG] More hardware woes

My previous thread was getting long so I'm starting a new one. Quick
summary -- while attempting to swap drives in a RAID1 array, my
desktop box got into a state where the power would shut off while
booting up.

I'd given up on trying to diagnose my problem, so on Saturday morning
I brought it to Micro Center. For $40 they will attempt to diagnose
what's wrong with your computer. It seemed worth it to figure out if
it was the power supply, or wonky memory, or something else.

This morning they called me up. They said they couldn't find anything
wrong with it. Their best guess was that dust had gotten into
someplace it shouldn't, and when they blew out the dust it must have
fixed it.

I brought it home and sure enough it booted up without any problem!
Woot! I removed the faulty drive from the RAID array, shut the box
down, and swapped out the old drive for a new one.

Then turned it back on. It got halfway through booting up and the
power shut off. I checked all the connections and tried again. Same
thing. I physically disconnected the power and ribbon cables from the
new drive. It probably shut off even faster this time.

So now it's shut off again and I'm back on my Mac laptop. I'm trying
to decide if it's worth bringing it back to Micro Center or just
cutting my losses and building a new box.

Sigh.

Walt