Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 18 Nov 2022 20:34:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] More hardware woes

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 9:31 PM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> My previous thread was getting long so I'm starting a new one. Quick
> summary -- while attempting to swap drives in a RAID1 array, my
> desktop box got into a state where the power would shut off while
> booting up.
>
> I'd given up on trying to diagnose my problem, so on Saturday morning
> I brought it to Micro Center. For $40 they will attempt to diagnose
> what's wrong with your computer. It seemed worth it to figure out if
> it was the power supply, or wonky memory, or something else.
>
> This morning they called me up. They said they couldn't find anything
> wrong with it. Their best guess was that dust had gotten into
> someplace it shouldn't, and when they blew out the dust it must have
> fixed it.
>
> I brought it home and sure enough it booted up without any problem!
> Woot! I removed the faulty drive from the RAID array, shut the box
> down, and swapped out the old drive for a new one.

I think you gravely overestimate both the expertise of the MC
"technicians" and their thoroughness.

> Then turned it back on. It got halfway through booting up and the
> power shut off. I checked all the connections and tried again. Same
> thing. I physically disconnected the power and ribbon cables from the
> new drive. It probably shut off even faster this time.
>
> So now it's shut off again and I'm back on my Mac laptop. I'm trying
> to decide if it's worth bringing it back to Micro Center or just
> cutting my losses and building a new box.

When you take it back for free re-test (they did not test anything
meaningful, a free re-do is very reasonable), leave the new drive
installed. They will not know the difference and you will provoke the
proper issue.