Walt Mankowski via plug on 23 Nov 2022 17:47:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] In-person meetings

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 08:00:01PM -0500, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> Subject line changed.
>
> On 11/23/22 03:04 PM, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> > Our last in-person PLUG meeting was March 4, 2020. It's not clear when
> > or if we'll be able to return to either of our former venues, so in
> > all likelihood we'll continue to be online for the foreseeable future.
>
> +1 for virtual meetings.
>
> While I see the point about in-person and face-to-face and all that, I have to say I love the convenience of the virtual meetings.  Less gas, miles, and time as well.  I also like the ability to see the slides on my monitor, because I can see that better than a projector.

There are definitely pros and cons to virtual meetings. I miss the
social aspects, especially the pizza at Coredial! But being able to
see the slides better is definitely a plus.

> Related, virtual meetings remove geographical issues, and since we're having a really hard time finding speakers anyway, maybe it's time to merge the "North" and "West" meetings?  I don't have a strong opinion, just throwing that out there to the (single, non-geographical) list. :-)

Being able to have folks join from basically anywhere in the world has
been an unexpected benefit of switching to virtual meetings.

PLUG West has been defunct since right before the pandemic. I should
really drop that from the web site. It might make sense to merge
"Central" and "North" into a single meeting. I haven't brought it up
since folks seemed to enjoy chatting in the meetings. Virtual meetings
make it so easy to pop in for a bit, or not, that it hasn't seemed
necessary.

Walt