Michael Lazin via plug on 2 Dec 2022 06:46:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Tshooting

If it boots alright try dmesg for kernel debugging in case it is a kernel panic.  Try running lsmod too to see if you can unload extra kernel modules.  This code snippet shows you are proxying through tor.  It may be a problem with the network connection as well if you set it to disconnect from the internet if not using this proxy.

Thanks,

Michael

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 1:15 AM Steve Litt via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
jeff via plug said on Thu, 1 Dec 2022 23:22:21 -0500

>This laptop freezes. I have temp monitors to see if that causes it.
>Doesn't seem to. Tried changing NVIDIA driver for fun. Nope. Ran
>memtest. Pass. Canned air, reseat mem, cursing a lot, all failed. It
>seizes under load or not.

The Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) I'm using right now started out with an
Nvidia video card. Intermittent freezes. Changing nVidia drivers made
subtle changes, but it still froze. If I left it running overnight
doing nothing, it froze.

The solution turned out to be replacing the nVidia with a Radeon, and
my computer became rock stable. There's a reason Linus gave the middle
finger to nVidia:

https://www.wired.com/2012/06/torvalds-nvidia-linux/

>If I leave it alone, it won't freeze, but this causes an existential
>dilemma.

I bet if you leave it alone long enough, it will freeze. That's what
happened with my DDD.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Michael Lazin

.. τὸ γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι.