Douglas Lentz via plug on 15 Dec 2022 17:44:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Digital Video Transfer from Legacy "Digital" Camcorder

Thanks, John. It looks like service it is. I'm thinking that this could be possible with "real" desktop hardware (a computer with slots) but I only have an Intel NUC, so hunting down old Firewire or analog capture cards isn't a possibility. Disappointing, but it was a long shot anyway.

Quoting John Karr via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>:

I recommend the easy way out, just send the tapes to a service. It is likely that the value of the time you spend will be greater than the cost of farming it out. I use a service called scancafe, they're always running sales if you sign up to receive emails from them.

Previewing the tapes on the camcorder is a good way to reduce the bill by determining if any of the tapes are unplayable or uninteresting.