Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 25 May 2024 17:57:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] System won't boot after failed upgrade from Ubuntu 23.10 to 24.04

Don't overthink it. Boot a friendly live USB (if you use full disk
encryption, make sure it supports your flavor), fire up any of the
nicer partition editors, and enlarge usr a bit. Maybe a lot, if you
have the disk space for it. I think pretty much every filesystem
supports offline resize *up*, some like XFS don't support resizing
*down*, so that might be an issue, but once you have enough space, you
should be able to boot and apt install --fix-broken or chroot and do
same.

I know it's barn door after horses come home, but I always try to make
sure I have plenty of free space, especially on /usr, when I'm
performing a large upgrade on Debian/Ubuntu based systems.